Nevada Man Dies on Hawaii Vacation After Being Pulled from Water Off Hanalei Bay


A man who was on a tropical vacation with his wife died on Sunday.

Ronald Nicasio — who was from Nevada according to local news outlet — was pronounced dead after being pulled from waters off Hanalei Bay. Per a from the Kaua‘i Police, Nicasio, 57, became unresponsive and was brought to shore by local bystanders.

The group managed to pull Nicasio approximately 150 yards from a lifeguard tower and called for help from Ocean Safety Bureau personnel.

Once the lifeguards arrived, they began to administer CPR and use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) in an attempt to resuscitate him. Firefighters from the Hanalei Fire Station continued CPR efforts after they arrived on the scene before personnel from the American Medical Response (AMR) took over.


According to the Kaua‘i Police, AMR personnel continued to perform treatment on Nicasio as he was transported to the Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy is pending.

The department stated that volunteers with the Visitor Aloha Society of Kaua‘i (VASK), a nonprofit providing emergency needs for visitors, and Life’s Bridges, a grief counseling service, are currently assisting Nicasio's family.

In a page created to support Nicasio's wife, Carmina — who had been on vacation with him at the time of the tragedy — a loved one described them as "the couple everyone aspires to be a part of.



"Ron was taken from this earth too soon and will be dearly missed but by no one more than his best friend and love, Carmina. Carmina is always the first to help others and give love and support when someone needs she needs us," the description adds.

Before the campaign was disabled, it raised $1,180 in donations.

The day after Nicasio's death, the Kaua‘i Police reported the death of another visitor. According to a from the department, Rex Shayne Queen died after scuba diving in waters off Koloa Landing in Poipu.

Never miss a story — sign up for  to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.


The 58-year-old was brought to shore by first responders after becoming unresponsive and was pronounced dead at the Wilcox Medical Center. Although the department reports that no signs of foul play were reported or observed, an autopsy is pending for the exact cause of death.

“We are saddened once again to report the death of another visitor. We remind the public to be aware of your surroundings and your abilities in the water," said Kaua’i Police Investigative Services Bureau Acting Captain Kennison Nagahisa in a statement shared on the release.